August 19, 2026 09:03 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Joseph Kent said he cannot support the Iran war and misinformation campaign. Photo: Wikimedia Commons.

'Can't support Iran war in good conscience': US counterterrorism chief Joseph Kent resigns

| @indiablooms | Mar 17, 2026, at 09:06 pm

Joseph Kent, who was serving as head of the National Counterterrorism Center, has stepped down from his position, citing strong objections to the United States’ involvement in the ongoing conflict involving Iran.

In his resignation letter, Kent said he could not “in good conscience” support the war, asserting that Iran did not pose an “imminent threat” to the United States.

He further claimed that the conflict was influenced by pressure from Israel and pro-war narratives within American political and media circles.

Kent alleged that a broader “misinformation campaign” had contributed to escalating tensions, drawing parallels with the lead-up to the Iraq War.

He urged policymakers to reconsider the current course, warning of long-term consequences for the United States.

Addressing the leadership, Kent wrote that the country stood at a critical juncture, with the option to either reverse course or risk further instability.

As a combat veteran, he emphasized the human cost of war, stating he could not support sending more Americans into a conflict he believed offered no clear benefit to the nation.

Kent’s resignation marks the first high-level departure linked to the Iran conflict. According to officials from the countries involved, the fighting has resulted in significant casualties across the region, including military personnel and civilians.

Kent had been confirmed to his role last year following a closely contested Senate vote.

His appointment had drawn criticism from Democrats, who raised concerns over his past political associations and controversial positions.

The development comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East, with the role of the United States and its allies under increasing scrutiny.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.