August 19, 2026 08:38 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Canada
Canada's Evacuation efforts to rescue civilians from Sudan/Image credit: Twitter /@CFOperations

Canada to no longer offer evacuation flights from Sudan over deteriorating security situation

| @indiablooms | May 02, 2023, at 02:45 am

Ottawa/IBNS: Evacuation flights out of crisis-hit Sudan would no longer be offered by Canada’s federal government due to Sudan’s deteriorating security situation.

Other commercial options through Port Sudan along the Red Sea are available for Canadians who want to leave Sudan, the federal government said in an updated travel notice issued Saturday night.

Canadians have been urged to avoid travelling to the Wadi Seidna Air Base, north of the capital, Khartoum, where countries including Canada have organized flights for their citizens and others, says the latest travel advisory of the federal government on Sudan.

This decision followed the federal officials’ confirmation of more than 375 Canadians flown out of Sudan on national and allied aircraft as of Friday, with at least one evacuation flight having taken place Saturday.

As of Friday, as many as 300 Canadians in Sudan were still seeking assistance.

During a virtual press conference on Saturday, Canada’s Defence Minister Anita Anand said that flights would continue for as long as possible with a warning that, “The window for opportunity at the airfield is closing.”

As many as 200 members to the region had been deployed by the Canadian Armed Forces, while HMCS Montreal and MV Asterix, a frigate and Naval Replenishment Unit Motor Vessel bound for the Indo-Pacific region, had been re-tasked with staying near Port Sudan.

In the meantime to learn more about what Canada can do to respond to the situation in Sudan, Canada’s Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly has travelled to Kenya, where the Canadian embassy in Khartoum has since relocated.

Sudanese nationals in Canada, as of Sunday, can apply for free to extend their stay or change their status as a visitor, student or temporary worker.

A temporary halt on removals to Sudan has also been issued by the Canada Border Services Agency subject to some exceptions.

(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.