August 19, 2026 10:12 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Canada
Representational image/credit:Unsplash/Canim Studio

Canada: Quebec judge denies Muslim group's plea to suspend ban on public school prayer rooms

| @indiablooms | Jun 16, 2023, at 04:34 am

Quebec/IBNS: A request by a Muslim advocacy group and a civil liberties organization to suspend the province's ban on prayer rooms in public schools was reportedly denied by a Quebec Superior Court judge on Wednesday.

It was argued by the Canadian Civil Liberties Association and the National Council of Canadian Muslims that irreparable harm was being caused to Muslim students, and needed the ban to be suspended immediately as the Muslim students couldn't wait while a legal challenge made its way through the courts.

After agreeing that the ban violates religious freedom and could cause irreparable harm to Muslim students, Justice Lukasz Granosik said the groups had only filed their request for a stay in June when the ban went into effect May 3.

"The delay is not explained in the proceedings and remains inexplicable," he was reported to tell the court.

Citing the province's policy on institutional secularism, Education Minister Bernard Drainville banned schools from offering dedicated prayers spaces after about at least two Montreal-area schools reportedly allowed Muslim students to pray,

A lawsuit had been filed by the Muslim and civil liberties groups on behalf of a 16-year-old student at a Montreal-area high school, whose identity is protected by a publication ban, the school was given space to pray at lunchtime.

Granosik said it's not clear that the student would be immediately harmed by the rule because classes had ended and students were only required to be at school to write exams.

Concerned about serious questions about the constitutionality of the ban, the judge said these would be settled during a full trial adding that the constitutional violations were not sufficiently clear for him to suspend the rule so early in the legal challenge.

Muslim group's organization would review the decision, Stephen Brown, CEO of the Muslim group was reported to say.

Citing the court process, a spokeswoman for Drainville declined to comment on the ruling.

(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.