August 19, 2026 09:21 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Iran War
Photo: The White House

Canada backs US action to stop Iran from developing nuclear arms

| @indiablooms | Mar 01, 2026, at 03:11 am

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and Foreign Minister Anita Anand in a joint statement on Saturday said that Canada supports efforts by the United States to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapon.

In a joint statement issued during Carney’s visit to India, Ottawa said it is closely monitoring developments and advised Canadians in the wider region to follow local authorities’ guidance and take necessary precautions.

The statement described Iran as a source of instability in the Middle East and reiterated Canada’s long-standing position that Tehran must not be allowed to obtain or develop nuclear weapons.

The statement noted that Canada and its international partners have consistently called on Iran to end its nuclear program, including at the 2025 G7 Leaders’ Summit in Kananaskis and through the United Nations’ reimposition of sanctions in September.

The government said Iran has not dismantled its nuclear program, halted enrichment activities or ended support for regional armed groups despite diplomatic efforts.

According to the statement, Canada has listed Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terrorist entity and imposed sanctions on 256 Iranian entities and 222 individuals in response to human rights and regional security concers. 

The government also called for the protection of civilians and said it would take steps to safeguard Canadian nationals and diplomatic missions in the region.

Trump's address

Earlier Saturday, in a video address, Trump said the United States would not allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons and added that diplomatic efforts had previously been made to reach an agreement.

Trump during his video address confirming US role in attack on Iran. Photo: Screengrab/X video

Calling the operation a “noble mission,” Trump acknowledged the possibility of casualties, saying the action was aimed at securing long-term peace and stability.

Trump called Iran the world’s “number one state sponsor of terror”, saying, “For 47 years, the Iranian regime has chanted, Death to America, and waged an unending campaign of bloodshed and mass murder, targeting the United States, our troops, and the innocent people in many, many countries.”

He also blamed Iran-backed Hamas for the October 7 attack on Israel, saying, “It was brutal, something like the world has never seen before.”

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.