August 19, 2026 08:28 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Netanyahu has ordered the Israeli military to expand control over Gaza. Photo: Official Facebook.

Benjamin Netanyahu orders Israeli military to expand control over Gaza to 70%

| @indiablooms | May 28, 2026, at 11:21 pm

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Thursday that he has directed the Israeli military to take control of 70 percent of the Gaza Strip, signalling a major escalation despite an ongoing fragile ceasefire with Hamas.

Speaking at a conference in an Israeli settlement in the occupied West Bank, Netanyahu said Israeli forces already control around 60 percent of Gaza.

“We are currently squeezing Hamas. We now control 60 per cent of the territory in the strip,” Netanyahu said in remarks aired by Israel’s Channel 12.

He added that Israeli forces had controlled around 50 per cent of Gaza under the terms of the ceasefire agreement, but said he had now ordered the military to expand that control further.

“My directive is to move to... 70 percent. We’re squeezing them from all sides. We’ll deal with what’s left afterwards,” he said.

Ceasefire stalled for months

The ceasefire, which came into effect in October, initially led to the release of the remaining hostages seized during Hamas’s October 7, 2023 attack on Israel in exchange for Palestinian prisoners held by Israel.

However, the transition to the second phase of the agreement has remained stalled for months.

Under the original terms, Hamas was expected to disarm gradually while Israeli forces were supposed to withdraw behind a designated “yellow line” separating areas controlled by Hamas and the Israeli military.

Instead, Israel has continued expanding its military footprint inside Gaza.

Netanyahu had earlier hinted at the move on May 15, when he said Israeli troops had broadened their control across the territory.

Daily violence continues

Despite the ceasefire, violence has continued almost daily in Gaza, with both Israel and Hamas accusing each other of repeated violations.

According to Gaza’s health ministry, which operates under Hamas and whose casualty figures are regarded as credible by the United Nations, more than 900 people have been killed since the ceasefire began.

Israel said on Wednesday that it had killed Mohammed Odeh, the new head of Hamas’s armed wing in Gaza, after killing his predecessor earlier this month.

Odeh is reportedly the fourth leader of the Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades that Israel says it has killed since the start of the war.

Displacement plan raises concerns

Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz also reiterated Israel’s objective of ending Hamas’s control over Gaza and referred to a plan involving the relocation of Gaza residents.

“The plan for voluntary migration from Gaza will also be implemented — everything will be done at the right time and in the right way,” Katz said on Wednesday.

The comments are likely to draw further international scrutiny amid growing concerns over the humanitarian situation and the future status of the Palestinian territory.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.