August 19, 2026 08:55 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
US-Venezuela-China
US President Donald Trump says he will "run" Venezuela until 'safe transition can take place'. AI composition by ChatGPT

Beijing breaks silence on Maduro’s dramatic arrest by US

| @indiablooms | Jan 04, 2026, at 04:43 pm

China on Sunday demanded the immediate release of ousted Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, urging the United States to stop any attempt to topple the government of the oil-rich South American nation.

In a statement, China’s Foreign Ministry said it was “gravely concerned” by Washington’s actions.

“China expresses grave concern over the US forcibly seizing President Nicolás Maduro and his wife and taking them out of the country,” the ministry said.

The statement added that the move violated international law and fundamental norms governing international relations.

“The US move is in clear violation of international law, basic norms in international relations, and the purposes and principles of the UN Charter,” it said. “China calls on the US to ensure the personal safety of President Nicolás Maduro and his wife, release them at once, stop toppling the government of Venezuela, and resolve issues through dialogue and negotiation.”

US President Donald Trump has said Maduro and Flores were captured during a large-scale US military operation in Caracas and would face criminal charges in New York.

According to media reports, Maduro met a visiting Chinese delegation at the Miraflores Presidential Palace just hours before the operation. The delegation reportedly included Lan Hu, Venezuela’s Chinese ambassador; Liu Bo, director-general of China’s Foreign Ministry department for Latin America and the Caribbean; Wang Hao, deputy director-general of the same department; and regional official Liu Zhen, according to The Chosun Daily.

Meanwhile, a video circulating on social media appears to show Maduro being escorted by officers of the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) inside the agency’s headquarters in lower Manhattan, New York, on Saturday. The footage was shared by the US Rapid Response official account on X.

Media reports said Maduro and Flores were captured during an early-morning operation carried out by US special forces in Caracas on Saturday local time. The couple was subsequently flown to the United States, arriving at a military base later that evening before being transferred to New York City.

US media reported that the 63-year-old Venezuelan leader is expected to be moved from the DEA facility to the Metropolitan Detention Center (MDC) in Brooklyn, a federal jail that previously held rapper Sean “Diddy” Combs during his trial last year.

Maduro and Flores have reportedly been charged with narco-terrorism, alleged involvement in trafficking large quantities of cocaine into the United States, and possession of illegal weapons.

The developments have triggered strong international reactions, with Venezuela seeking urgent diplomatic consultations and demanding proof of the president’s safety, as global leaders closely monitor the rapidly unfolding situation.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.