August 19, 2026 05:41 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

Ban urges to 'never forget' Nigerian girls on anniversary of abduction

| | Apr 15, 2015, at 06:01 pm
New York, Apr 15 (IBNS): On the one-year anniversary of their abduction by the extremist group Boko Haram, the kidnapped girls of Chibok, Nigeria must not be forgotten, United NationsSecretary-General Ban Ki-moon declared on Tuesday as he reiterated his call for their immediate release and safe return to their families.

“While some of the girls were fortunate to have escaped, the fate of many still remains unknown,” Ban said in a statement issued by his spokesperson.

Some 276 girls were abducted by Boko Haram from their school in Chibok, located in Nigeria’s restive north-eastern Borno state, in April 2014, as the militant group ramped up brutal attacks targeting the African country’s children.

Since then, Ban said, hundreds of thousands of children had been displaced from their homes and deprived of their rights to live and grow up in safety, dignity and peace.

The Secretary-General also voiced deep concern at the group’s “repeated and cowardly” attacks targeting schools.

According to a report released yesterday by the UN Children Fund (UNICEF), Missing Childhoods, more than 300 schools were damaged or destroyed and at least 196 teachers and 314 schoolchildren killed by the end of 2014 as a result of the conflict in northeast Nigeria between Boko Haram, military forces and civilian self-defence groups.

“Going to school should not have to be an act of bravery,” the Secretary-General’s statement continued.

It said, “The children of north-eastern Nigeria and neighbouring countries must be allowed to live in peace and enjoy their right to a safe education.”

As the Government of Nigeria and regional powers ramp up their legitimate offensive against Boko Haram, Ban reminded all those involved that their response to the extremist group’s attacks “must be fully consistent with international law and not create additional risks for the protection of children.”

“On this day, I reaffirm my support to the governments and peoples of the region in the fight against Boko Haram,” the statement concluded.

It added, “I stand in solidarity with the families of all abductees, especially children, their communities and society at large.”

Photo: UN Photo

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.