August 19, 2026 10:51 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Ban urges halt to fighting, unfettered access to Malaysia Airlines crash site in Ukraine

| | Jul 31, 2014, at 04:55 pm
New York,July 31 (IBNS) UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Wednesday called for an immediate halt to hostilities in eastern Ukraine so that international investigators can gain access to the site where a Malaysia Airlines passenger flight crashed earlier this month.

Both  Ban and the United Nations Security Council have called for a full investigation into the crash of flight MH17, which went down in Donetsk Oblast on 17 July, resulting in the loss of 298 lives.

They have also urged armed groups to allow unfettered access to the crash site and ensure that its integrity is maintained.

A statement issued by his spokesperson on Wednesday said that  Ban is “deeply disturbed” to learn that forensic teams and international investigators in Donetsk continue to be impeded from accessing the site and carrying out their critical work due to heavy fighting in the area.

“The Secretary-General calls on all parties to immediately halt hostilities in the proximity of the crash site so as to allow the international teams unimpeded access to the site,” said the statement.

Ban recalled that there are victims’ remains yet to be found and that key pieces of evidence remain at the site.

“The families of the victims of this horrific tragedy deserve closure and the world demands answers – international teams must be allowed to conduct their work,” the statement added.

In the wake of the crash, the Council was told that while the UN had no independent verification of the circumstances regarding the incident, there was credible, numerous reports suggesting that a sophisticated surface-to-air missile was used.

The apparent deliberate downing of the flight over eastern Ukraine, Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs Jeffrey Feltman told the 15-member body, highlighted the need for an urgent resumption of a ceasefire and a serious effort to end the ongoing crisis in that country.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. UN Photo/Paulo Filgueiras (file)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.