August 19, 2026 11:05 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Ban alarmed by 'dangerous escalation' in Ukraine crisis; Security Council holds emergency talks

| | Aug 29, 2014, at 06:01 am
New York, Aug 28 (IBNS) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he is alarmed by what seems to be a "dangerous escalation" in the crisis in Ukraine with reports that the fighting in the eastern part of the country has spread near the border with Russia.

“The international community cannot allow the situation to escalate further nor can a continuation be allowed of the violence and destruction that the conflict has wrought in eastern Ukraine,” Mr. Ban’s spokesperson said in a statement.

It is reported that the fighting in eastern Ukraine has spread southward, near the border of the Sea of Azov and Russia.

“If confirmed, this will mark a dangerous escalation in the Ukrainian crisis,” said the statement.

Amid the latest developments, the UN Security Council is set to hold an emergency meeting today on the situation in Ukraine.

The Secretary-General noted the recent talks in Minsk on 26 August, as well as the first official meeting between Presidents Petro Poroshenko of Ukraine and Vladimir Putin of Russia.

“He calls for continuity of these talks, with a view to forging a peaceful way out of the conflict. All must do their part to contribute to the peaceful resolution of this conflict, in a manner upholding Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity,” said the statement.

Mr. Ban has previously expressed his hope that there will be tangible progress in implementing the Ukrainian President’s peace plan which was announced in June. According to media reports, the peace plan involves proposals for decentralizing power, holding early elections, and creating a buffer zone on the Ukrainian-Russian border.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.