August 19, 2026 09:07 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

560 hotels close in Lebanon amid COVID-19 outbreak, financial crisis

| @indiablooms | Jul 10, 2020, at 10:34 pm

Beirut/Xinhua: A total of 560 hotels shut down in Lebanon due to the absence of tourists given the COVID-19 outbreak worldwide, Elnashra, online independent newspaper, reported on Friday.

Pierre Ashkar, president of the Syndicate of Hotel Owners in Lebanon, said that "we did not witness any reservations by Gulf tourists who constitute the most important component for the success of the tourism sector in Lebanon."

Ashkar added that the European Union closed its doors facing tourists from Lebanon due to COVID-19 outbreak, which means that European tourists will not visit Lebanon.

"We were capable of generating 8.5 billion U.S. dollars in 2009 and 9.2 billion U.S. dollars in 2010," he said.

Lebanon's hotel sector is suffering from an unprecedented crisis ever since the start of nationwide protests in Oct last year.

The spread of COVID-19 in Lebanon and worldwide has made things even worse.
Hotels in the country have witnessed zero percent occupancy, forcing several big hotels to shut down, including al-Habtoor, Monroe, and the renowned Le Bristol's Hotel.

Tourism institutions have previously asked the government for facilities including exemption from taxes, payment of loans and electricity bills to be able to continue their operations. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.