May 18, 2026 05:40 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions
India-UK
Representational image of travel ban/ credit: Unsplash

Britain adds India to its travel ban 'red list' after Covid surge

| @indiablooms | Apr 20, 2021, at 03:58 am

London/IBNS: Britain on Monday added India to its "red list" of countries, banning all arrivals from the Asian country except for UK or Irish nationals to stem the spread of coronavirus.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the order will be effective from 0300 GMT on Friday.

"India has been added to England’s travel ban red list, with effect from 4am BST Friday 23 April.  This is to help prevent the spread of variants of concern and protect the most vulnerable.  Important information for British nationals and others below," the British Embassy in India tweeted.

"If you are an Indian national without residency rights in the UK then we regret that you will not be permitted to enter England if you have departed from or transited through India in the previous 10 days," it further said.

Seen as one of the strictest travel curbs on India, the order comes as the Asian country reported a whopping 2.73 lakh cases in a single day.

Meanwhile, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's official trip to India next week has also been cancelled, the Ministry of External Affairs said earlier in the day.

The decision comes against the backdrop of a strong Covid-19 second wave in India which has hit the south Asian country hard.

For few days, more than two lakh cases are being reported daily, prompting authorities in India to impose certain restrictions like weekend lockdowns and full curfew in the capital city-Delhi.

However, the MEA said the two sides will hold a virtual meeting in the coming days.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.