August 19, 2026 08:16 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Massive Attack
Both members of British trip-hop group Massive Attack banned from re-entering Singapore over pro-Palestine display during recent concert. Photo: X page videograb/Wikimedia Commons

Singapore bans British band Massive Attack members over pro-Palestine flag, chants during live concert

| @indiablooms | Aug 02, 2026, at 06:06 pm

Both members of British trip-hop group Massive Attack have been banned from re-entering Singapore after displaying a Palestinian flag and chanting "Free Palestine" during their recent concert in the city-state, police said.

The incident occurred during the band's performance on July 29, when members Robert Del Naja and Grant Marshall held up a Palestinian flag on stage and shouted "Free Palestine", with some audience members reportedly joining the chant, the BBC reported.

In a joint statement, the Singapore Police Force and the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) said investigations had been completed, and the authorities had decided to issue stern warnings to both musicians.

"Upon completion of investigations and after careful consideration of the facts and circumstances of the case, the Police, in consultation with the Attorney-General’s Chambers, administered stern warnings to both men for offences under Section 3 of the Foreign National Emblems (Control of Display) Act 1949 and Section 16 of the Public Order Act," the statement said.

The authorities added that both men have been banned from re-entering Singapore.

The IMDA is also investigating whether the band breached several conditions attached to its concert licence and said appropriate action will be taken once the probe is complete.

According to the statement, one of the licence conditions explicitly prohibited the display of flags supporting any cause. Despite the event organiser acknowledging those conditions beforehand, the two band members displayed a foreign flag on stage, and one of them shouted "Free Palestine" during the performance.

"IMDA will also not grant any future application for performances by the band in Singapore in view of the entry ban," the statement added.

Massive Attack is currently on a world tour, with its Singapore performance being the only scheduled stop in the city-state.

The group has long been known for taking public political positions on a range of issues, including the war in Gaza.

Massive Attack comprises Robert Del Naja and Grant Marshall.

Earlier this year, Del Naja was arrested while taking part in a demonstration in London. According to the BBC, he was accused of showing support for Palestine Action, an organisation that has been proscribed in the UK.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.