August 19, 2026 10:11 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
A SIT probe has been ordered in Ram Temple donation theft case. Photo: X/Narendra Modi

Six held in Ayodhya Ram Temple donation theft case; probe underway into alleged embezzlement

| @indiablooms | Jun 25, 2026, at 11:13 pm

Six people have been taken into custody, and a police case has been registered following allegations of misappropriation of donation funds at the Ram Temple in Ayodhya.

The First Information Report (FIR), lodged on the complaint of the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust, names eight accused.

According to NDTV's sources, six of them are temple employees involved in counting cash donations.

Investigators said CCTV footage allegedly captured all eight accused siphoning off money from the temple's offerings.

Eight named in FIR

Those named in the FIR are Anukalp Mishra, Lavkush Mishra, Avinash Shukla, Ramashankar Mishra, Ramashankar Yadav, Manish Yadav, Subhash Chandra Srivastava and Karunesh Pandey.

Police have launched a search for Ramashankar Yadav, who is reportedly the driver of the Trust's General Secretary Champat Rai, and another accused who remains untraceable.

Reports suggest that around Rs 7 crore to Rs 7.5 crore may be unaccounted for, although officials are yet to confirm the exact amount allegedly embezzled.

Allegations trigger political storm

The controversy first gained political attention after the Samajwadi Party raised concerns over alleged irregularities in the management of temple donations.

Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav had alleged that crores of rupees from devotees' offerings were going missing and called for judicial intervention.

He also questioned the silence of both the Trust and the government on the matter.

As the allegations gathered momentum, the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust sought a formal investigation, saying rumours circulating on social media were aimed at tarnishing the image of the temple and hurting the sentiments of devotees.

Government orders SIT probe

In response to the allegations, the Uttar Pradesh government constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to examine the matter.

The probe panel comprises Lucknow Divisional Commissioner Vijay Vishwas Pant, Inspector General of Police Kiran S and Finance Department Special Secretary Neel Ratan.

The SIT has been tasked with establishing the facts and investigating the alleged diversion of donation funds.

Temple committee chief expresses concern

Nripendra Mishra, chairman of the Ram Temple Construction Committee and a retired IAS officer, had earlier said the allegations had caused concern at the highest levels.

According to Mishra, Prime Minister Narendra Modi was worried by reports of irregularities linked to donations made by devotees.

The allegations also drew reactions from senior BJP leaders and prominent figures associated with the Ram Janmabhoomi movement.

Former BJP MP Vinay Katiyar described the allegations as serious, recalling the sacrifices made by activists and leaders during the Ram temple movement.

Opposition reacts to arrests

Following the arrests, the Samajwadi Party claimed that the action vindicated its earlier allegations.

Party spokesperson Mohammad Azam said the arrests amounted to an acknowledgment that theft had taken place at the temple and termed it a victory for devotees seeking accountability.

The investigation is continuing, and authorities are expected to question the accused and examine financial records as part of the probe.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.