April 04, 2025 09:30 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
K Annamalai says he is not in a race to become Tamil Nadu BJP's next president | PM Modi meets Muhammad Yunus in Bangkok amid bilateral tension in first since Hasina's fall | Calcutta HC blasts TMC leader-headed film federation over infringement of directors' fundamental rights | BJP demands Mamata Banerjee's resignation over Supreme Court verdict quashing Bengal govt jobs | Rajya Sabha passes Waqf (Amendment) Bill 2025 after marathon debate, 128 voted in favour | West Bengal: Mamata Banerjee accuses BJP, CPI (M) for SC verdict on SSC recruitment, vows to support affected teachers | Supreme Court stays deforestation in Hyderabad's Kancha Gachibowli amid protests | Modi a great friend of mine but not treating US right: Donald Trump announcing reciprocal tariffs on India | Crushing defeat for Mamata Banerjee: BJP reacts to Supreme Court's SSC recruitment order | DMK to challenge Waqf (Amendment) Bill in Supreme Court, announces Stalin
Sitalkuchi firing

Sitalkuchi firing: Bengal CID seizes then Cooch Behar SP Debasish Dhar's mobile phone

| @IBNS | Jun 24, 2021, at 04:48 am

Kolkata/IBNS: A day after interrogating suspended IPS officer Debasish Dhar for the second time in connection with the Sitalkuchi firing incident, West Bengal Criminal Investigation Department (CID) on Wednesday seized the mobile phone of the then Cooch Behar SP, officials said.

According to sources in the state probe agency, Debasish Dhar's phone has been seized to examine the details of the calls and messages he dialled and received before and after the firing incident took place at Sitalkuchi.

The suspended IPS officer has already been quizzed twice by a Special Investigation Team (SIT) of the CID on June 18 and June 22 (Tuesday).

Earlier on Apr 10, the CISF opened fire outside polling station no. 126 in Sitalkuchi after a local mob had reportedly attacked the polling booth and tried to snatch jawans' rifles.

Four locals, who were claimed to be TMC supporters, died in the firing.

Based on the reports filed by Cooch Behar DM and SP, DIG of Jalpaiguri Range and Special Police Observer Vivek Dube, the Election Commission had clarified that the Central force had fired bullets 'purely in self-defence'.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Close menu