August 19, 2026 09:43 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Security upped in Haryana as Jats plan fresh agitation

| | Jun 05, 2016, at 04:37 pm
Chandigarh, Jun 5 (IBNS): The Jat Community in Haryana is likely to begin their second round of protest from Sunday in an attempt to accelerate its demand for increased reservations in government jobs and educational institutes, media reports said.
The Community has threatened to repeat a February like agitation in the state.
 
At least 30 people had lost their lives in violence since the beginning of the agitation in February.
 
Earlier, the Haryana High Court had put an interim stay on the reservations for Jats.
 
As a result of their fresh threat, the administration is taking no stone unturned in preparations and has deployed 55 companies of paramilitary forces in the state to check violence during the 15-day protests, reports said. 
 
Section 144 has also been imposed in Haryana's Jhajjar, Sonipat, Rohtak, Panipat, Hisar, Fatehabad, Jind and Kaithal which also covers national highways. 
 
The administration has set up a dedicated helpline has been provided which will be monitored by a control room in Chandigarh round-the-clock. 
 
Bulk SMS and mobile internet have been suspended in Sonipat and Rohtak districts till further notice.
 
The Akhil Bhartiya Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti (ABJASS) had in February steered the agitation with its demands for increased reservations for the Jat community.
 
The ABJAAS had been demanding ten percent quota in government jobs and educational institutions in the state.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.