August 23, 2026 03:12 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
‘Reservation for poor, not caste’: Stir at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar | Dalit woman 'gangrape-murder' shocker in Karnataka: 4 arrested after body found in well | India dismisses Pakistan's 'frustration' over US envoy's J&K remark | Centre denies US visit clearance to Telangana CM Revanth Reddy, says programmes 'not appropriate' | Delhi Police register FIR in pellet gun case after Rahul Gandhi's sit-in | Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence

SC puts cancellation of Kerala bar licenses on hold

| | Sep 10, 2014, at 08:53 pm
New Delhi, Sept 10 (IBNS): The Supreme Court Wednesday told the Kerala government to withhold its order prohibiting functioning of non-five-star hotel bars till Thursday when the court will take up for hearing a batch of petitions challenging the ban order.

The apex court bench headed by Justice Anil R. Dave asked the state government not to enforce the banning of liquor bars.

The bench said it would hear the plea filed by an association of bar owners on Thursday.

Keeping in line with Chief Minister Oommen Chandy’s motive to turn the state “booze-free” within 10 years, The Kerala government last month has passed an order banning the sale of liquor at bars and hotels below the five-star category.

The ban was expected to come into force from Sep 11.

According to the State Government’s diktat, more than 700 Kerala bars were scheduled to lose their licenses.

It has been learnt that, the bar owners in their petition alleged “partiality” on State Government’s part.

They protested Government's recent decision to turn the state only five-star hotels will be allowed to keep serving booze.

Bar owners who have taken the government to court say if there is an alcohol ban, state tourism will be badly hurt as a whole.

The tourists will start opting for other regional destinations - perhaps the beaches of nearby Goa or Sri Lanka, media reported.

Reacting to the plea, the top court on Wednesday questioned the logic of exempting five-stars and said it will deliberate on the policy on Thursday.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.