August 17, 2026 05:53 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

Rajdeo Ranjan murder case: CBI team lands in Siwan, begins investigation

| | Sep 16, 2016, at 09:09 pm
Patna, Sept 16 (The Bihar Post/IBNS): The CBI on Friday began investigation into the killing of journalist Rajdeo Ranjan by formally registering a case in this regard.

Ranjan, a senior journalist working for a leading vernacular daily was shot dead by some motorcycle-borne criminals in May this year.

 

The local media on Friday reported a 10-member CBI team headed by a deputy SP-rank official has reached Siwan to begin investigation. Victim family alleges Ranjan was eliminated at the behest of RJD politician Mohammad Shahabuddin.


The CBI on Thursday had registered a case (362/16) under sections 302, 120-B, 3 of the IPC and section 27 of the Arms Act against unidentified persons.

“I thank the central government for ordering a CBI probe into my husband murder case. However, the CBI team has not contacted us so far,” Ranjan’s widow Asha Ranjan told the media.

Earlier in the day, a petition challenging the bail granted to Shahabuddin was filed in the Supreme Court.

The petition was filed by one Chandrakeshwar Prasad through his lawyer Prashant Bhushan.

Prasad had his three sons killed by the criminals and he alleges Shahabuddin was involved in their murder.

Shahabuddin walked out of jail last week after the bail was granted by the Patna High Court. He was released on bail after 11 years of incarceration.

The entire opposition in Bihar has taken to streets since Shahabuddin was granted bail by the court and has accused the state government of clandestinely helping the RJD strongman secure his release.

A delegation of the NDA recently met Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind, seeking cancellation of his bail and imposition of Crime Control Act (CCA) on Shahabuddin.

Today again the NDA observed “Dhikkar Diwas” across the state to protest his bail. In the past two days, they had also staged sit-ins with the same demand.

Victims’ families too are protesting and have sought jailing of Shahabuddin, apprehending threats to their live and witnesses.

Amid the increasing demand of his arrest, the state government too is now said to be mulling to challenge Shahabuddin’s bail in the Supreme Court.


(thebiharpost.com/IBNS)


 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.