May 18, 2026 12:05 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions

Police arrest prime accused of the Guwahati blast

| @indiablooms | May 21, 2019, at 09:53 pm

Guwahati, May 21 (IBNS): The Assam police finally arrested the main accused of the Guwahati grenade blast on Tuesday.

The main accused of the blast incident identified as Bijoy Asom, who is a senior member of banned insurgent outfit United Liberation Front of Asom – Independent (ULFA-I), was arrested by police from Doomdooma area in Tinsukia district.

Earlier, police had arrested five accused persons including a woman in connection with the blast that took place in front of Guwahati Central shopping mall at Zoo road on May 15, where at least 12 persons including two SSB jawans were injured.

The Assam Police has so far arrested ULFA leader Pranamoy Rajguru, Assamese actress Jahnabi Saikia, Chinmoy Lahkar from Guwahati, Amit Ballav Goswami from Golaghat and Indra Mohan Bora from Nagaon in connection with the blast case.

Guwahati city police Commissioner Deepak Kumar said that police had arrested all six accused persons, who were involved in the incident.

“Five persons were earlier arrested by police in connection with the May 15 Guwahati grenade blast and today the prime accused who threw the grenade identified as Bijoy Asom was arrested from Doomdooma area in Tinsukia district. He will be brought to Guwahati soon. All the accused persons who were involved in the blast incident were arrested by Guwahati police with the help of other districts police,” Deepak Kumar said.

 

 

(By Hemanta Kumar Nath, Guwahati)

 


 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.