August 19, 2026 09:36 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
UP Coaching Fire
Massive fire in Lucknow commercial building kills at least 15. Photo: Screen-grab from X

“Papa, help me": Victim's final call echoes as 15 die in Lucknow building blaze

| @indiablooms | Jun 23, 2026, at 11:11 am

Four people, including the owner of the building, were arrested after a fire broke out at a three-storey commercial building in the north Indian city of Lucknow on Monday, leaving 15 people, including five women, dead.

According to reports, four Uttar Pradesh government officials have been suspended, and further actions may be taken against others involved in approving the structure.

The arrested people were identified as Ram Krishna Upadhyay (43), Virendra Prasad Shukla (62), Tushar Krishna Jaiswal (31), and Suresh Kumar Sahu.

An extensive rescue operation was launched to bring the fire under control and evacuate those trapped inside the building, which housed a coaching centre, which is located in the city's  Aliganj area.


Firefighters, police personnel, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) and Civil Defence teams worked for several hours before bringing the fire under control.

Most of the victims are believed to have been young people aged between 20 and 24 who were inside the building when the fire broke out.

"Please save me"

A father of one of the victim's of the fire tragedy said his child had called him for 'help', but the family could not reach him in time.

23-year-old Sukhmani Singh's father Prabhjot Singh told NDTV: "My child said, 'Papa, there's a fire, please save me'."

Another victim, who was identified as Aditya Srivastava was trapped inside the building for nearly two-and-a-half hours and his mother feels he could have been saved if quicker action was taken.

"The children could have been saved if a little more effort had been put in. If help had been provided earlier instead of making videos, some lives could have been saved. Perhaps my son would have been saved," Aditya Srivastava's mother told the Indian news channel.

A friend of Abdul Rahman, another victim in the tragedy, told NDTV he was the only earning member of the family.

"He got a job about 8-10 months ago and was very happy. I met him a week ago and spoke to him two days back," the friend told the news channel.

Meanwhile, a two-member Special Investigation Team has been formed to investigate the matter.

Survivors told Bhaskar English that the office’s automatic locking system delayed evacuation, while some students escaped by jumping from the building or climbing down using wires.

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inspected the site where the fire incident ocurred and later wrote on X: "I inspected the site of the fire accident in Lucknow and, upon reaching King George's Medical University, met with the injured individuals from this unfortunate incident and their families to inquire about their well-being, and obtained information from the doctors regarding the treatment of the injured."

PM Modi announces financial assistance

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over the loss of lives and announced ex-gratia compensation for the families of the deceased and those injured.

"Anguished by the loss of lives in a fire mishap in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. My condolences to the bereaved families. May the injured recover at the earliest. Rescue operations are underway and authorities are providing all possible assistance," the Prime Minister said in a post on X.

The Prime Minister's Office announced that the next of kin of each deceased victim would receive Rs 2 lakh from the Prime Minister's National Relief Fund (PMNRF), while injured victims would receive Rs 50,000.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.