August 17, 2026 07:27 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

Navy divers locate bus wreckage from Maharashtra bridge collapse

| | Aug 11, 2016, at 07:28 pm
Mumbai, Aug 11 (IBNS): Navy divers, on Thursday, located the bus wreckage from the bridge collapse tragedy that occurred near Mahad in Maharashtra, on Aug 3, according to media reports.

Two state transport buses had fallen into the Savitri River in Mahad when the British-era bridge on the Mumbai-Goa highway collapsed.

It was said that several vehicles had also fallen into the river.

The media quoting a defence spokesperson reported that naval teams had been working for 12-14 hours daily for the past eight days.

The wreckage, which Navy divers believe are parts of the two buses, were found submerged in the river, about 170-200 metres from the collapsed bridge site, according to media reports.

Rescuers have located 26 bodies so far, local reports said.

On Wednesday, a public interest litigation was filed before the Bombay High Court, seeking punitive action against the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) and state government officials who conducted the structural audit of the British era bridge near Mahad in Raigad district, reported The Indian Express.


Image: All India Radio News/Twitter

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.