April 03, 2025 11:18 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court upholds Calcutta HC order quashing 25,000 appointments by SSC in Bengal | In a major boost for tourism, Shimla to get Asia's longest ropeway spanning 13.79 kilometers | Karnataka govt hikes sales tax on diesel, price goes up by Rs. 2 | 'Heard India will be dropping its tariffs substantially': Donald Trump ahead of announcing reciprocal tariff | Opposition MPs decide to vote against Waqf Amendment Bill in Parliament tomorrow | Chilean President Boric visits India, discusses ways to expand bilateral ties with Modi | Himanta Biswa Sarma slams Muhammad Yunus' Northeast remarks, Tripura leader suggests Bangladesh's split | Modi govt determined to uproot Naxalism by March 31, 2026: Amit Shah | Time for reciprocity: White House refers to India's 100 percent tariff imposed on US agri products ahead of April 2 deadline | Fresh encounter breaks out in J&K's Kathua, security forces trap 3 terrorists
Taj Hotels
Photo Courtesy: ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0)/Wikipedia Commons

Mumbai: Police receives 'threat call' to blow up iconic Taj Hotel

| @indiablooms | Sep 01, 2023, at 08:47 pm

Mumbai: Mumbai Police have received a 'threat call' claiming two Pakistani citizens would reach the city to blow up the Taj Hotel, officials said on Friday.

A call was received at the main control room of the Mumbai Police late on Thursday evening from an unknown man, informing them that two men hailing from Pakistan would enter Indian territory.

Their plan is to enter Mumbai through the sea route and blow up the city’s famous hotel, he said on the call.

According to reports, the caller introduced himself as Mukesh Singh to the police.

During the investigation, the caller was traced and further investigation is underway, the official added.

Taj Hotel and its connection with 2008 Mumbai attacks:

The 2008 Mumbai attacks also referred to as 26/11 were a series of terrorist attacks that took place in November 2008, when 10 members of Lashkar-e-Taiba, an Islamic terrorist organisation based in Pakistan, carried out 12 coordinated shooting and bombing attacks lasting four days across Mumbai.

The attacks, which drew widespread global condemnation, began on Wednesday 26 November and lasted until November 29, 2008. At least 174 people died, including 9 attackers, and more than 300 were wounded.

Eight of the attacks occurred in South Mumbai at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Mumbai Chabad House, The Oberoi Trident, The Taj Palace & Tower, Leopold Cafe, Cama Hospital, The Nariman House, the Metro Cinema, and in a lane behind the Times of India building and St. Xavier's College.

There was also an explosion at Mazagaon, in Mumbai's port area, and a taxi at Vile Parle.

By the early morning of 28 November 28, all sites except for the Taj Hotel had been secured by the Mumbai Police and security forces.

On November 29, India's National Security Guards (NSG) conducted Operation Black Tornado to flush out the remaining attackers; it culminated in the death of the last remaining attackers at the Taj Hotel and ended the attacks.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Close menu