August 21, 2026 11:43 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences
Wikimedia Commons

MEA confirms abduction of four Indian teachers in Libya

| | Jul 31, 2015, at 05:48 pm
New Delhi, July 31 (IBNS): The Indian government on Friday confirmed that four Indian nationals have been abducted in Libya allegedly by the Islamic State terror group.
They are reportedly university teachers who were abducted from Sirte town near Tripoli on Thursday evening.

"We came to know at 11 pm that four Indian nationals who were returning to India via Tripoli were detained at a checkpoint approximately 50 km from Sirte," External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup said.

He has assured that the government is making all efforts to ensure the safety of the four Indians.

"According to our sources all four were brought back to Sirte. We are in regular touch with their families and all efforts are being made to ensure their early release," Swarup added.

Foreign Ministry officials also informed that no ransom demand has been made yet.

Reports said the area from where the Indians were kidnapped is under the control of the Islamic State, which has captured a vast expanse of Iraq and Syria to establish a caliphate.

In Iraq 39 Indians have been missing from the last year after they were kidnapped at the height of the fighting between Islamic militants and government forces.
 

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.