August 19, 2026 09:36 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Mathura anti-encroachment drive: At least 21 killed as clash intesifies

| | Jun 03, 2016, at 04:17 pm
Mathura, Jun 3 (IBNS) At least 21 people, including two policemen, lost their lives as agitations intensified following an anti encroachment drive in Mathura, Uttar Pradesh on Friday, reports said.

A mob of 3000 people, who call themselves Satyagrahis, had occupied Mathura's Jawahar Bagh park, a 260-acre facility, for more than two years. Clashes between the police and the mob took place when the former decided to check the sight on Thursday.

Stones were pelted at the police, following a round of firing.

Uttar Pradesh police chief Javed Ahmad was quoted as saying by NDTV, "There was unprovoked firing from the members of an offshoot of the Jai Gurudev sect. Heavily armed men from the other side fired at the police."

The two policemen killed in the clash were identified as Mukul Dwivedi, Superintendent of Police and Santosh Kumar, Station House officer of Farah police station, reports said.   

UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav announced a compensation of Rs. 20 lakh for the family of the deceased.

The police had earlier failed to evict the encroachers despite an order from the court, which demanded their eviction from the park.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.