August 17, 2026 05:53 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

Kolkata civil society groups protest over Mocambo controversy

| | Sep 18, 2016, at 05:31 am
Kolkata, Sept 17 (IBNS): Several civil and human rights groups on Saturday protested against the alleged racism by Kolkata's popular fine dining restaurant Mocambo at Park Street.

Activists of human rights body Association For Protection of Democratic Rights (APDR), members of several social groups, including People's Film Collective, Chiriakhana and Drishyantar, and students of Jadavpur and Presidency University took part in the four-hour long protest here.

Starting at 4 pm., the protest under the banner- They own the hotels, we own the streets- continued till 8 pm. in the evening.

A large number of general people joined the protest as well.

"Through few street plays, songs, dramas and dance, we are knocking the doors of Mocambo and warning other fine dining restaurants in the city that Kolkata is ready to protest if any of these commit such racist actions," a protester said.

Earlier on Sept 10, a woman- Dilashi Hemnani- posted a status on social networking site Facebook, describing how she and her driver were prevented from entering Mocambo restaurant as the driver- Manish Tiwari- was 'not aptly dressed'.

The Facebook post went viral very soon and it has been shared more than 34,000 times so far.

Following the post, the restaurant faced backlash and the wrath of netizens and a large number of Kolkatans promised to boycott Mocambo during Puja days.

However, Mocambo published a statement saying "Mocambo's policy has always been and still is not to discriminate against any person on grounds of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth, disability, liability, restriction or condition with regard to access to Mocambo."

"We are currently deeply scrutinizing the events that could have led to a bad experience for any of our esteemed patrons and in the light of a recent incident, an enquiry is being made and we assure you that follow up action will be taken on the revelation of the truth," the statement said.

Meanwhile, Left affiliated taxi drivers' union- Kolkata Taxi Operators' Union- will stage demonstration in front of Mocambo on Sunday, where cabbie  Manish Tiwari, who was the alleged victim of the eatery's social bias, will be present.

(Reporting by Deepayan Sinha)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.