August 20, 2026 12:48 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

Kerala temple fire tragedy : Kollam DC says she denied permission for fireworks display

| | Apr 11, 2016, at 07:22 pm
Kollam, Kerala, Apr 11 (IBNS) The District Collector Kollam has claimed that she denied permission for fireworks display at Puttingal temple where 110 people were killed in a fire tragedy on Sunday.

 "Lot of politicians called me and requested me to allow the fireworks to go on but I stood my ground and said no," media reports on Mondayquoted Kollam Collector Shainamol as saying.

Five organisers are being questioned in connection with the incident. One contractor has died in explosion while the another suffered injuries and is undergoing treatment in a hospital. Besides those killed, more than  380 others injured in the incident.

The investigation is  underway to fix accountability for the Puttingal temple tragedy. The houses of contractors and committee members were raided. Explosives were seized during raids from godowns and intensity of explosives is yet to be ascertained.

Locals had informed police that there were excessive explosives this time.

a police case was filed against 30 people including members of the board that administers the shrine, while authorities, running nearly 1000 Hindu places of worship, said they will not accept a ban on fireworks, media reports said.


Very early on Sunday morning, 10,000 people were present at the Puttingal Devi temple, about 70 km from the state capital Thiruvananthapuram, to watch a fireworks display at a major annual festival that coincides with the start of the Hindu new year.  

The display began at midnight and continued for four hours. Then suddenly, a cracker fell onto a shed where the fireworks were stored, sparking a string of powerful explosions that blew the roof of the administrative block of the temple and caused another building to collapse.

The Travancore Devaswom Board, in charge of nearly 1,000 temples, said it will not obey a ban on fireworks, and that it is up to the government to ensure public safety.

Fireworks had been banned by local officials in Kollam, but the temple went ahead with a competition.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi flew to Kollam on Sunday with a team of doctors to help state authorities cope with the large number of injured.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.