August 20, 2026 12:41 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

Kashmir firing : Army releases video to claim there was no molestation

| | Apr 13, 2016, at 05:39 pm
Handwara, Jammu and Kashmir, Apr 13 (IBNS) A day after three persons, including a young cricketer and a 70-year-old woman were killed in firing during protests over alleged of molestation of a college student, the army on Wednesday released a video of the girl's statement to refute allegations against its members.

According to media reports, the army says it has not filmed the video, in which the girl alleges harassment by a local but does not talk about molestation by any soldier.

Though regretting the firing, the army, now equipped with the video, says it's a proof that there was an "intention to malign" the force.

The girl's statement was recorded on a mobile phone when she was reportedly taken by the police during the protests.

As allegations that the girl had been molested by an army man, triggered massive protests  in Handwara, around 70 km from Srinagar.

The police say security forces opened fire when some 500 protesters surrounded an army post, started throwing stones and tried to burn it.

Naeem Bhatta, a promising cricketer who had participated in under-19 camps, a 70-year-old Raja Begum and Mohammad Iqbal were killed in subsequent firing by the army in which six others were injured.

Stating that Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar had assured action, Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti said: "Such tragic incidents have a huge negative impact on the efforts of the government and political leadership in bringing peace to state."

After the deaths the protests spread to other parts of the Kashmir Valley and reinforcements were sent to check any escalation. Separatists have called for a strike. Handwara has been under curfew since Tuesday.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.