August 17, 2026 06:32 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

Curfew lifted in Kashmir

| | Aug 29, 2016, at 09:08 pm
Srinagar, Aug 29 (IBNS): Authorities on Monday lifted curfew across the Kashmir Valley, except in Puwlama and some areas of Srinagar, after 52 days since the ongoing unrest began on July 9, officials said.

"Curfew has been lifted from the entire Valley after reviewing the law and order situation on Sunday evening. But, curfew will  remain in force in Pulwama town of South Kashmir  and in some areas under the jurisdiction of Nowhatta and M.R.Gunj police stations in Srinagar," a senior police official said.

After lifting the curfew, people coming out of their homes and were seen buying clothes and other elements of daily needs.

Small vehicles also were seen on roads in different areas in Srinagar.

However, forces have been deployed in strength in many areas to prevent any large-scale protests.

Same reports came from other parts of the Valley.

During the 52-day period of curfew, since the July 8 encounter of Burhan Wani, at least  70 people have died and over 11,000 have been injured in
clashes between protesters and security forces.

Meanwhile, separatists here continued their protest shutdown despite lifting of the curfew.

In a statement issued last week, the separatists have asked people to continue the shutdown until Sept 1.

Educational institutions, shops and business establishments continue to remain closed due to the shutdown.

Mobile Internet and incoming call facility on pre-paid mobile phones also remain suspended.

All senior separatist leaders have been placed under detention in Srinagar city.

 

(Reporting by Saleem Iqbal Qadri)

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.