August 17, 2026 06:01 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

#CauveryVerdict: Naidu urges Karnataka, TN to maintain peace, appeals media for restraint

| | Sep 13, 2016, at 04:38 pm
New Delhi, Sept 13 (IBNS) Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu on Tuesday appealed to the governments of both Karnataka and Tamil Nadu to ensure that peace is maintained in both the states in the aftermath of the Cauvery Water verdict of the Supreme Court and the spiralling violence.

The Information and Broadcasting Minister also urged the media to show restraint in reporting the issue and not show anything that provokes people.

"Issues cannot be decided on street," Naidu said, appealing to give protection to people.

He appealed the electronic media to show restraint and not show arson always. He said media should also appeal to the people to maintain peace.

The massive protest in Karnataka over the Cauvery water issue took a bad turn on Monday with angry mob burning Tamil Nadu-registered trucks and buses on the roads and vandalizing shops in the Bengaluru city.

According to reports, even a person died in police firing in Bengaluru during protests.

Prohibitory orders were imposed in Bengaluru as fresh violence erupted in even as the Supreme Court modified its earlier order, asking the state to release lesser amount of water to Tamil Nadu.

Some 15,000 policemen have been posted across the city.

The Supreme Court  modified its last week's order, asking the Karnataka  Government to release to Tamil Nadu 12,000 cusecs of Cauvery water-  3,000 cusecs less than what was directed last week-daily till Sept  20.

Karnataka had made a plea with the  court to suspend its order to release 15,000 cusecs of water.

On Monday morning, the Woodlands hotel in Chennai was attacked allegedly by a fringe Tamil group, who hurled petrol bombs, damaging  glass panes and windows.

The group also allegedly left pamphlets warning of retaliation if Tamils were targeted in Karnataka.

The attack is being seen as a retaliation to a Tamil engineering student being thrashed in Bengaluru on Sunday allegedly for making derogatory comments on Kannada actors and also commenting on the Cauvery dispute.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has appealed to social media users to not support any hate campaign.


 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.