August 19, 2026 09:09 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Ram Mandir
Glimpse of Ram Mandir in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh. Photo: File

Ayodhya Ram Temple donation theft: Probe says majority of money was allegedly stolen during Kumbh Mela

| @indiablooms | Jul 01, 2026, at 01:46 pm

Ayodhya/IBNS: The bulk of the alleged theft of donations from the Ram Temple in Ayodhya took place during the Maha Kumbh Mela in early 2025, a police investigation has found, according to an NDTV report.

Investigators said the accused took advantage of the massive influx of devotees and the sharp rise in donations during the religious gathering to execute the alleged theft.

Most thefts took place during Kumbh Mela

According to the police probe, the majority of the stolen donations were siphoned off during the Maha Kumbh Mela, when the temple witnessed an unprecedented surge in offerings from devotees.

The accused allegedly exploited the heavy rush and the increase in cash donations to carry out the theft over a prolonged period.

Several accused had a history of petty theft

Police said six of the eight arrested had been involved in petty theft even before the Maha Kumbh Mela.

Investigators believe the group later conspired to carry out a much larger operation after identifying the opportunity presented by the huge volume of donations at the temple.

Brother duo allegedly stole the largest share

The investigation has identified brothers Lavkush Mishra and Anukalp Mishra as the principal beneficiaries of the alleged theft.

According to the police, the duo siphoned off the largest share of the stolen money and allegedly used part of the proceeds to purchase properties.

Investigation underway

Police said all eight accused were part of the alleged conspiracy.

Eight named in FIR

Those named in the FIR are Avinash Shukla, Anukalp Mishra, Lavkush Mishra, Manish Kumar Yadav, Karunesh Pandey, Ramashankar Mishra, Subhash Srivastava and Ram Shankar Yadav alias Tinnu, according to an NDTV report.

Ram Shankar Yadav, also known as Tinnu Yadav, is the former driver of the Trust's General Secretary, Champat Rai.

According to police, the accused were involved in counting cash donations and valuables offered by devotees at the temple.

They have been arrested, and further interrogation is underway.

Trust general secretary Champat Rai resigns

After the scandal broke out, Champat Rai and Anil Mishra resigned as the general secretary and Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust member respectively.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.