August 20, 2026 11:15 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

After boycott threat by African envoys, Swaraj assures safety for Africans

| | May 25, 2016, at 05:43 pm
New Delhi, May 25 (IBNS) After African envoys decided to boycott the Africa Day celebrations in Delhi protesting last week's lynching of a Congolese student, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Wednesday assured safety of African nationals. .

In tweets, Swaraj said she has asked minister VK Singh to meet the mission heads and reassure them of India's commitment to the safety and security of Africans in India.

Though the immediate reason for the boycott  decision, taken by the  African Group of Heads of Mission was the last week's murder of Masunda Kitada Oliver, a Congolese student, the brewing grievances over frequent attacks on Africans made the envoys to recommend their states to make such a move. 

A   statement issued by Alem Tsehage Woldemariam, Ambassador of Eritrea and Dean of the group said :“Given the pervading climate of fear and insecurity in Delhi, the African Heads of Mission are left with little option than to consider recommending to their governments not to send new students to India, unless and until their safety can be guaranteed."

African missions are also reportedly considering recommending to their governments not to send new students to India unless their safety is guaranteed.

On Friday, 29-year-old Masonda Ketada Olivier from Congo was beaten to death by some locals in south Delhi's Vasant Kunj, allegedly over an argument over hiring an auto-rickshaw.

Earlier this year, a Tanzanian student in Bengaluru complained to the police that she was beaten up,  molested and stripped by a mob.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.