August 19, 2026 09:25 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

There will be no National Commission for Cultural and Heritage Sites, says minister

| | Mar 14, 2016, at 07:17 pm
New Delhi, Mar 14 (IBNS) In a written reply to the Lok Sabha on Monday, Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (Independent Charge) and Minister of State for Civil Aviation Dr. Mahesh Sharma, said the Government does not intend to constitute a National Commission for Cultural and Heritage Sites.
 
He informed the House that the Government had introduced a Bill named “The National Commission For Heritage Sites Bill, 2009” in the Rajya Sabha on Mar 26, 2009, which was referred to the Department Related Parliamentary Standing Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture.
 
The same was pending since then for making necessary amendments in the Bill in pursuance to the recommendations, made in the 150th Report of Department Related Parliamentary Standing Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture, on the Bill. 
 
Accordingly, the minister informed, consultations were held with various stakeholders including the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), National Monuments Authority (NMA) as well as ministries of Urban Development, Environment, Forest & Climate Change (the then Environment & Forests) etc. 
 
Based on the consultations, the Government decided not to constitute a National Heritage Sites Commission as envisaged in the said Bill. 
 
The Bill was accordingly withdrawn by the Government from the Rajya Sabha on July 31, 2015. 
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.