August 19, 2026 08:34 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Aadhaar
Representational Photo: ChatGPT

Pushback from smartphone makers: Centre drops Aadhaar app pre-install plan — report

| @indiablooms | Apr 18, 2026, at 01:39 pm

New Delhi/IBNS: The central government has decided not to pursue its proposal that would require Apple, Samsung and others to pre-install the Aadhaar app on smartphones, following opposition from the manufacturers, Reuters reported.

Proposal dropped after industry pushback

Reuters had earlier reported that Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), which operates Aadhaar, had asked the IT ministry to communicate to smartphone makers to consider pre-installation of the app.

Declining to give a specific reason for the rollback, UIDAI told Reuters that the IT ministry reviewed the proposal and is “not in favour of mandating the pre-installation of the Aadhaar App on smartphones”.

Industry concerns over security, cost

UIDAI said the ministry had consulted stakeholders in the electronics industry before dropping the plan.

Smartphone manufacturers had opposed the proposal, flagging concerns over device security and compatibility.

Companies also cited higher production costs, noting that such a mandate could require separate manufacturing lines for India and export markets.

Earlier rollback on Sanchar Saathi app

The government’s decision comes months after a similar rollback involving the Sanchar Saathi app.

The Centre had withdrawn the mandatory pre-installation requirement for the app following political debate and industry concerns.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.