August 19, 2026 08:53 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
CUET
Representative image/ credit: Pixabay

'No retest for CUET': University panel chief on students missing entrance exam

| @indiablooms | Jul 16, 2022, at 05:15 am

New Delhi/IBNS: No retest will be held for those who missed Friday's Common University Entrance Test (CUET) for undergraduate admissions to central universities, University Grants Commission (UGC) chairman Mamidala Jagadesh Kumar said this evening.

This came after reports from several cities stated that students missed the paper due to sudden changes in exam centres.

The first-ever CUET is being conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) in two phases.

Of the 14.9 lakh students who registered across subjects, more than halfare in the first phase to be held on July 15, 16, 19 and 20. Phase 2 is in August.

However, the 197 candidates at West Bengal's New Jalpaiguri and Punjab's Pathankot, where the test was cancelled due to technical issues, are likely to get another chance, NTA officials have told news agencies.

Attendance was about 85 per cent on the first day, the UGC chairman said in a video statement sent to journalists.

He first gave details of arrangements of 5,000 security cameras, and 1,500 mobile-signal jammers being installed and then spoke to about the missed chances.

He said students had been advised to reach two hours in advance. There is a "grace period" of 30 minutes after the start of the exam, he said, after which "no one is allowed to take the exam".

Some news agencies reported earlier that NTA officials said students would get a second chance; but the UGC chairman said, "There is no way we can hold a retest for them."

Kumar further claimed that if students reached on time at a centre other than the one assigned, "they are allowed".

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.