August 19, 2026 09:00 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
CBSE Class XII exam cancelled
PM Modi chairing review meeting on CBSE Class XII board exams/ Image credit:PIB official website

CBSE Class XII board exams cancelled, PM Modi says decision taken in students' interest

| @indiablooms | Jun 02, 2021, at 02:28 am

New Delhi/IBNS: In view of the "uncertain conditions" due to COVID and the feedback obtained from various stakeholders, the Centre on Tuesday decided that Class XII board exams of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) would not be held this year, the Prime Minister's Office said in a statement.

The decision was taken at a Prime Minister-chaired review meeting regarding the Class XII Board exams of CBSE. Officials gave a detailed presentation on the wide and extensive consultation held so far and views received from all stakeholders, including state governments.

It was decided in the meeting that CBSE will take steps to compile the results of class XII students as per a well-defined objective criteria in a time-bound manner

PM Modi said that the decision to cancel the Class 12 CBSE exams has been taken in the interest of students.

He stated that COVID-19 has affected the academic calendar and the issue of board exams has been causing immense anxiety among students, parents and teachers, which must be put to an end.

The PM said that the Covid situation is a dynamic situation across the country.

"While the numbers are coming down in the country and some states are managing the situation through effective micro-containment, some states have still opted for a lockdown. Students, parents and teachers are naturally worried about the health of the students in such a situation," said he.

PM Modi further said that students should not be forced to appear for exams in such a stressful situation.

He stressed that the "health and safety of our students are of utmost importance and there would be no compromise on this aspect."

"In today’s time, such exams cannot be the reason to put our youth at risk," the PM added.


Modi said that all stakeholders need to show sensitivity to the students. He directed officials to ensure that the results are prepared in accordance with well-defined criteria, in a fair and time-bound manner.

Referring to the wide consultative process, PM Modi expressed appreciation that a student-friendly decision has been reached after consulting all stakeholders from across the length and breadth of India.

He also thanked the states for providing feedback on this issue.

It was also decided that like last year, in case some students desire to take the exams, such an option would be provided to them by CBSE, as and when the situation becomes conducive.

The Prime Minister had earlier held a high-level meeting on May 21 in this regard which was attended by ministers and officials. Thereafter a meeting under the Chairmanship of Union Defence Minister was held on May 23 which was attended by the Education Minsters of States. Various options for conduct of CBSE examinations were discussed in the meeting and feedback obtained from the States and UTs.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.