August 19, 2026 09:47 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
A view of city Sttutgart, Germany, where Norovirus outbreak was reported. (Photo courtesy: wikipedia.org)

Germany: Norovirus outbreak at a spring festival leaves over 800 sick

| @indiablooms | Apr 27, 2024, at 08:08 am

Stuttgart (Germany): Over 800 people have been affected by a norovirus outbreak at a festival in south-west Germany, media reports said.

The infection causes vomiting, diarrhoea, nausea, and in some cases high fever, body ache, and headache.

According to a BBC report, people attending the festival caught the bug in a marquee at the Stuttgart spring festival last weekend.

It is still unclear how the virus was first contracted, but cases of infection have risen during the week.

Meanwhile, Stuttgart officials are certain that the infections was not linked to food or drink made available in the festival tent all the samples had tested negative.

The city's health department conducted tests on marquee staff, dishes, and water used for washing them up.  They think that the virus was transmitted from person to person, potentially through the air, although the original source, whether a visitor or an employee, remains unclear.

The symptoms of the infection showed immediately as people quickly complained of vomiting, nausea and diarrhoea.

By Friday afternoon, Stuttgart health officials said the number of people infected had reached 815.

The spring festival, situated on the banks of the Neckar River, started last Saturday and will continue for 23 days till May, with a range of rides, stalls, snack bars, and marquees providing refreshments and entertainment.

It recorded a footfall of 1.4 million visitors last year.

The operator of the Göckelesmaier marquee Karl Maier told German media that "someone apparently brought norovirus in on Saturday evening” to the tent, said the BBC report.

Stuttgart health authorities confirmed that there is no proof of hygiene regulations being violated.

The Göckelesmaier marquee was thoroughly disinfected after the previous weekend and has now recommenced operations.

According to city spokesman Sven Matis, there are growing signs that the virus transmission began in the main serving area before spreading throughout the entire marquee, reported BBC.

It is believed that most of the people became ill after visiting the tent, with some of the infected people being staff members.

Officials said the possibility that certain visitors might have transmitted the virus through secondary infection.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.