August 19, 2026 09:46 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Ebola: 'Regrettable loss' caused by warehouse fire in Guinea

| | Dec 19, 2014, at 03:32 pm
New York, Dec 19 (IBNS) A fire engulfed a United Nations warehouse in Guinea on Thursday that contained medicines and laboratory materials used for the fight against Ebola, causing no casualties but "a regrettable loss" in supplies, which the UN mission there vowed to quickly replace. An investigation into the fire was underway.

"This is a regrettable loss, but no one was hurt and we will move quickly together with our partners to replace the lost supplies", said Anthony Banbury, Head of the UN Mission for Emergency Ebola Response (UNMEER).

"We certainly won't be deterred in our fight against Ebola," he said.

UNMEER reported that the fire in the warehouse, mainly containing medicines and laboratory materials, was discovered around 8:00 a.m. local time when workers arrived at facility in the main humanitarian logistics base of the airport and of the city of Conakry, the capital of Guinea – one of the three most affected countries by Ebola in West Africa.

No casualties had been reported, the mission said, and added that the personal protective equipment stored in tents next to the warehouse had not been touched by the fire.

The exact amount of property and material damaged as a result of the fire is not yet known, and an investigation into the fire was underway, according to UNMEER.

The UNMEER warehouse is used by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), the World Health Organization (WHO), UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the Red Cross, the World Food Programme (WFP), and Pharmacie Centrale de Guinée to store supplies for their Ebola Emergency Response.

The fire in Guinea comes ahead of the trip by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon who is on his way to West Africa, where he will visit the Ebola-affected countries over the next few days.

Accompanied by the Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Dr. Margaret Chan, as well as his Special Envoy dealing with Ebola response, Dr. David Nabarro,  Ban is scheduled to arrive on Thursday in Accra, the capital of Ghana, where he will meet with President John Dramani Mahama and the staff and leadership of UNMEER, which is headquartered there.

The latest statistics released by WHO show that there have been 18,603 reported cases of Ebola virus disease, with 6,915 reported deaths.

WHO noted that the number of cases reported cases was fluctuating in Guinea and decreasing in Liberia, and there were signs that the increase in incidence has slowed in Sierra Leone. Meanwhile, no new cases have been reported in Mali since 24 November, WHO noted.

The latest information dated on Wednesday noted that “interventions in the three most-affected countries continue to progress in line with the UN Mission for Ebola Emergency Response aim to isolate and treat 100 per cent of EVD (Ebola Virus Disease) cases and bury safely and with dignity 100 per cent of EVD-related fatal cases by 1 January, 2015.”

UNMEER also reported on Thursday that more than 11,000 households across 15 counties in Liberia were reached through door-to-door visits with Ebola prevention and home protection messages by tens of thousands of women, men and children taking part in the campaign.

Regarding the UN Multi-donor Trust Fund, the UN Spokesman noted the latest contributions from Israel for $8.75 million, from China for $6 million, from Germany for an additional $5.3 million, from Switzerland for $5.1 million, from Bolivia for $1 million and from Brazil for $600,000.

Meanwhile, the humanitarian appeal for the Ebola outbreak in West Africa for $1.5 billion has been funded for $1.03 billion.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.