August 19, 2026 09:42 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Chhattisgarh mass sterilization doctor arrested

| | Nov 13, 2014, at 06:14 pm
Bilaspur, Nov 13 (IBNS): The Chhattisgarh police on Wednesday night arrested the doctor who performed mass sterilization surgeries in Bilaspur last week, media reports said.

RK Gupta, 59, was picked up for questioning last night. He had operated on as many as 83 women in just five hours at the Nemi Chand Jain hospital in Bilaspur. The hospital had not been in use since April this year.

“It was not my fault. The administration pressured me to meet targets… The surgeries went well but the problem was with the medicines given to the women,” he said.

Gupta was suspended on Tuesday by the state government. Earlier, the state government had awarded him on January 26 for carrying out a record 100,000 surgeries in his career.

Meanwhile, a team of doctors from Delhi’ss premier AIIMS hospital is already in Bilaspur to investigate the matter.

The Supreme Court on Wednesday refused to intervene in the issue saying Chief Minister Raman Singh was taking necessary steps.

The Chhattisgarh High Court asked for a detailed report within 10 days.

At least 11 women died and 72 others were admitted to hospital on Tuesday after they underwent sterilization surgery as part of the state government-funded free family planning camps that were held between October and February.

The health programme was aimed at controlling India’s billion-plus population. The state government gives Rs. 1,400 to each of the women who undergo the surgery.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.