August 19, 2026 08:35 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Representational Photo: Gemini

Dalal Street explodes! Sensex soars 800 points on big US-Iran peace hopes

| @indiablooms | Jun 12, 2026, at 10:54 am

Mumbai/IBNS: The Indian stock market rallied sharply on Friday amid growing hopes of a ceasefire agreement between the United States and Iran, raising expectations of an easing of tensions in West Asia, media reports said.

The benchmark BSE Sensex surged more than 800 points at the opening bell, while the NSE Nifty 50 climbed over 200 points, reflecting strong investor optimism.

Although both indices later pared some of their early gains, they continued to trade firmly in positive territory, with the Sensex remaining up by over 700 points and the Nifty holding on to substantial gains.

US President Donald Trump has claimed that the United States has effectively ended its ongoing conflict with Iran, although Tehran has yet to confirm any such breakthrough.

"We just made a great settlement of the war with Iran," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Thursday, according to the BBC.

In a separate post on Truth Social, Trump announced that planned US military action against Iran had been called off.

"Based on the fact that discussions with the Islamic Republic of Iran have been brought to the highest level of Iranian leadership and approved, I have, as President of the United States of America, cancelled the scheduled strikes and bombings against Iran this evening," he wrote.

However, Iran has cast doubt on Trump's claims. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told state television that reports of an agreement were "speculative" and that "nothing has been finalised", according to the BBC.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.